Coverage & Eligibility

TWIA continues to operate under its present charter, providing wind and hail coverage to the catastrophe-designated areas of Texas.

For information about writing homeowners coverage through the Texas FAIR Plan Association (TFPA), visit the TFPA website.

TWIA policies do not cover damage from flood / storm surge (see TWIA's policy exclusions for a full definition).  For information about flood coverage, visit the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Website.

Agents submitting applications on insurable property must comply with declination of coverage requirements. In addition, the property may require flood insurance.  View these requirements in the Texas Administrative Code.


TWIA's territory includes the following 14 counties along the Texas Gulf Coast and part of Harris County:


*When located inside city limits and east of Highway 146, the following portions of Harris County are also included:

  • LaPorte
  • Morgan's Point
  • Pasadena
  • Seabrook
  • Shore Acres

Return to Top

Property Covered by TWIA

  • Residential: Dwellings, personal property, manufactured (mobile) homes.
  • Commercial: Commercial buildings, business personal property, townhouses and condominiums.
  • Miscellaneous Items: Including but not limited to signs, fences, swimming pools and flagpoles.

For more information, you may also refer to the Insurable Property Section of TWIA's Plan of Operation in the Texas Administrative Code (Title 28, Part I, Chapter 5, Subchapter E, Division I, Rule 5.4001, Item (d) Catastrophe Insurance, (1) The Policy, (B) Insurable Property).

Return to Top



Insured Item
Available deductibles
Residential Dwelling or Farm and Ranch Dwelling Standard deductible - 1%
(with $100 minimum)
  $100 Flat - optional deductible
$250 Flat - optional deductible
Large deductible (1.5%, 2.0%, 2.5%,3.0%, 4.0%, 5.0%) - optional deductible   
Applies to dwelling, its personal property and dwelling outbuildings on a per-item basis. For full details, see TWIA Instructions and Guidelines Manual.
Mobile Home 1% (with $250 minimum)
For property located:
1- Inland of the intracoastal waterway or 2- Seaward of the intracoastal waterway and protected by an approved seawall.
  2% (with $250 minimum)
For property located seaward of the intracoastal waterway and not protected by an approved seawall.


Insured Item
Available deductibles
All commercial, including Farm and Ranch Barns, Miscellaneous Farm Property, Apartments, Townhouses, Condos
Standard Deductible - 1%, 2%, and 5% (with $1,000 minimum) per item, per occurrence.

Return to Top

Statutory Limits


Description Jan 2013 Jan 2014
Dwelling Building and Contents $1,773,000 $1,773,000
Dwellings, including individually owned townhouse units and associated corporeal moveable property.  
Apartment, Condo, Townhouse Contents Only $374,000 $374,000
Individually owned corporeal moveable property located in an apartment unit, residential condominium unit or townhouse unit that is occupied by the owner of that property.  
Mobile Home Building and Contents $84,000 $84,000


Description Jan 2013 Jan 2014
Commercial Building and Contents $4,424,000 $4,424,000
Commercial structure other than a dwelling or public building and the corporeal moveable property located in that structure.  
Governmental Building and Contents $4,424,000 $4,424,000
Governmental buildings and corporeal moveable property located in that structure.  

Return to Top

Building Code Compliance

For information on Building Code Compliance, please refer to the Building Code Information section in the TWIA Instructions and Guidelines Manual.

Return to Top