August 2019 will mark two years since Hurricane Harvey, and TWIA remains committed to supporting you and your clients as we begin to look beyond recovery to prepare for the next storm. Being prepared includes making sure Harvey-damaged property is repaired and eligible with appropriate certificates and coverages. If there are circumstances preventing repairs, please reach out and speak with an underwriter as soon as possible. We are here to help.
Are your clients Repaired and Prepared?
Recovery takes time. Over the past 20 months, our focus has been working with policyholders as they rebuild, always balanced with our standards for eligibility and insurability.
Now, as we approach another hurricane season, we are turning our focus toward preparation for the next storm.
Here are some tips to remember:
- It is possible that permanent structural repairs could be required whether there was a covered TWIA loss or not.
- These repairs may still require a certificate of compliance (WPI-8 or WPI-8-C) for the property to be considered eligible for coverage with TWIA. See TDI’s list of items not requiring an inspectionfor guidance on work that does not need to be certified.
- Our eligibility and insurability guidelines are available on our Coverage and Eligibility page. A list of conditions that must be met for a policy to be issued is available on our Minimum Policy Eligibility Criteria page.
- Review all applications closely before submitting them to TWIA. Check the location/mailing address, make sure that primary structures are noted as such, and that coverages and endorsements meet the needs of your client.
Do you know your clients’ repair statuses?
If you have not heard from your clients, please reach out and confirm repairs are completed or are in progress. If there are circumstances preventing repairs, TWIA continues to evaluate applications on a case-by-case basis—please reach out and speak with an underwriter.
If their repairs have been completed, please upload supporting information to Policy Center, including:
- A statement confirming that all damage is repaired
- Certificates of compliance (WPI-8 or WPI-8-C) for applicable repairs
Courses, videos, and job aids on how to work within Policy Center are available in our online agent training center.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact TWIA Underwriting at (800) 788-8247. We are ready to help and are available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.