Rebuilding after a hurricane is a long-term process. One that presents issues many policyholders have never had to think about, such as policy renewals.
We hope this post helps alleviate concerns and answers any questions agents or policyholders may have about how TWIA is handling renewals for properties affected by Hurricane Harvey.
What Does TWIA Review for a Renewal?
Renewals with documented Harvey damage are identified for review by TWIA Underwriting by:
- Examining aerial images,
- Reviewing claim file documents,
- And, most importantly – talking to agents.
Does TWIA Expect All Repairs to be Complete Before Renewal?
No, we do not expect everything to be complete and certified before renewal. TWIA Underwriting will continue to work with agents and policyholders and will make reasonable accommodations to provide continuous coverage as long as the damaged structure’s repairs are:
- Completed and certified with a Certificate of Compliance (WPI-8 or WPI-8-C), where required; or
- In the process of having repairs certified, where required, or
- In the process of having repairs completed.
- Whether there was ultimately a covered TWIA loss or not, it’s possible that permanent structural repairs were required.
- These repairs may still require a Certificate of Compliance (WPI-8 or WPI-8-C) for the property to be considered eligible for coverage with TWIA. See TDI’s list of Items Not Requiring an Inspection for guidance on work that does not need to be certified.
- Our eligibility and insurability guidelines are available for review on our Coverage and Eligibility page.
What Can Agents Do to Help?
Agents can help expedite the renewal process by uploading information to Policy Center, including:
- Status of repairs,
- Certificates of Compliance (WPI-8 or WPI-8-C) for repairs, and
- Photographs of and/or statements about repairs which don’t require a Certificate of Compliance (WPI-8 or WPI-8-C).
Where Can You Go with Questions?
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact TWIA Underwriting at 800-788-8247. We are ready to help and are available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.