The Texas Windstorm Insurance Association’s (TWIA) Actuarial & Underwriting Committee will meet via Zoom on Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 1:30 pm to review wind mitigation credits available to TWIA policyholders and related issues. The meeting will also be livestreamed on YouTube. The agenda and the materials for the meeting can be found here.
At its August 3 meeting, the TWIA Board of Directors agreed with the Committee’s recommendation that TWIA staff conduct additional research into wind mitigation and related credits. These kinds of credits provide premium discounts for coverage on homes with qualifying construction features that help mitigate damage and insurance losses. Issues that staff will provide information on include:
- A preliminary review of the amount of current building code credits offered by TWIA;
- Additional research on retrofit building credits;
- Identifying existing insured properties that might be eligible for credits that are not being provided; and
- Identifying and comparing discounts in other states, including Florida Citizens Property Insurance Corporation, and the private market to TWIA.
The committee will also receive an update on TWIA’s Request for Information on catastrophe modeling secondary modifier services. The Committee will NOT consider any changes to TWIA rates at this meeting.
Providing Public Comment to the Actuarial & Underwriting Committee
Members of the public are invited to submit written comments via email at PublicComment@TWIA.org. Interested parties are encouraged to submit comments by noon on Friday, October 15 to enable the Committee to receive and review them prior to the October 19 meeting. All written comments will be provided to the Committee regardless of when they are received.
Written comments submitted to TWIA are subject to the Texas Public Information Act. TWIA may post public comments received, with personally identifiable information redacted, to its website.
Members of the public are also invited to provide verbal comments to the TWIA Actuarial & Underwriting Committee during the designated public comment portion of the meeting. Those wishing to make public comment during the meeting must register and log into the meeting via Zoom on a computer, tablet, smartphone, or telephone.
- Click here to register to attend the meeting via Zoom.
- After registering for the meeting, you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to join the meeting from your preferred device.
- The meeting will also be livestreamed via YouTube.
If you are a member of the media and have questions about the Committee meeting, please email MediaRelations@TWIA.org.
An archived recording of the meeting will be available on TWIA’s Archived Meetings page after the meeting.