Beginning June 1, 2020, the windstorm certification process will be administered solely by the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI). At that time:
- TWIA will stop accepting applications for Certificates of Compliance for completed improvements.
- TDI will begin issuing Certificates of Compliance for completed improvements. TDI will continue to issue Certificates of Compliance for new and ongoing improvements.
How will this impact TWIA Certificates of Compliance (WPI-8-C), present and future?
Certificates of Compliance issued by TWIA will remain valid and property owners will not have to re-certify those same structures to remain eligible for TWIA insurance, unless they update the structures after being certified.
TWIA’s process of issuing Certificates of Compliance will remain unchanged for the lifespan of the program. The last day TWIA will accept applications for Certificates of Compliance is May 31, 2020.
Benefits of this change:
TDI already administers the Windstorm Inspection Program and is a regulatory agency. Consolidating the certification process under TDI will:
- Reduce property owner confusion on where to obtain a Certificate of Compliance.
- Provide additional oversight to the certification process for completed improvements (read more).
- Make all future Certificates of Compliance searchable on the TDI online database. Property owners with a Certificate of Compliance issued by TWIA (WPI-8-C) can contact us for a copy.
- Offer property owners local assistance for certifying completed improvements through TDI’s field offices in Beaumont, La Marque, Angleton, and Corpus Christi.