My property has been damaged by wind or hail. How do I report a claim with TWIA?

There are three ways to report a claim: 1) through Claims Center or the Policyholder Portal; 2) by calling (800) 788-8247, option 1; or 3) by contacting your agent.

Once you’ve reported your claim, a TWIA representative will contact you as soon as possible. If necessary, please make any temporary or minor repairs to protect your property from further damage. Remember to take photos of the damage, keep receipts and records of payment for any temporary repairs. Do not begin making permanent repairs until a TWIA-assigned adjuster or representative has contacted you and inspected your property. Learn more about the TWIA claims process at