Coverage and Eligibility
To obtain or continue windstorm and hail coverage through the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA), property must meet certain requirements established by the Texas Legislature. These requirements are outlined in Texas Insurance Code Chapter 2210.
- Residential: Dwellings, personal property, manufactured homes
- Commercial: Commercial buildings, business personal property, townhouses and condominiums
- Miscellaneous Items: Including but not limited to signs, fences, swimming pools and flagpoles
In order to be eligible for a TWIA policy, applicants and properties must meet the following criteria:
- Properties must be located in the area designated by the Commissioner of Insurance, which currently includes all 14 first-tier coastal counties (Aransas, Brazoria, Calhoun, Cameron, Chambers, Galveston, Jefferson, Kenedy, Kleberg, Matagorda, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio and Willacy) and parts of Harris County east of Highway 146
- Applicants must have been denied coverage by at least one insurer authorized to write windstorm and hail coverage in the designated area
- Properties must be certified by the Texas Department of Insurance as having been built to applicable building codes, with limited exceptions
- Properties located in flood zones V, VE, or V1-30 that were constructed, altered, remodeled, or enlarged after September 1, 2009 and that can obtain flood insurance through the NFIP must provide proof of flood insurance coverage and
- Properties must meet all other Association underwriting requirements, including maintaining the structure in an insurable condition – in good repair, with no unrepaired damage or hazardous conditions.