TWIA Logo Menu

During the property repair process, you may have to upgrade your repair method or materials to comply with updated local building ordinances and laws. This is especially common in older buildings that may not have kept pace with changing code requirements through the years.

Increased Cost of Construction (ICC) coverage helps pay for these additional costs. It is not automatically included in TWIA policies and must be added through an endorsement: TWIA-431 for residential policies and TWIA-432 for commercial policies.

How do I know if I have TWIA Increased Cost of Construction (ICC) coverage?

Look in your policy packet for endorsement form TWIA-431 (for residential policies) or TWIA-432 (for commercial policies). On the Declarations page, there would be a line item under Coverage A Property Description for Increased Cost of Construction, and the percentage that is covered.

Your agent can also help you determine if you have this coverage and add it to your TWIA policy if you don’t. Adding an endorsement will increase your premium.

How do I know if property repairs are subject to building ordinances and laws?

  • Contact your local contractor. Based on experience working in your area, they may already know your city’s building requirements and will most likely factor these costs into their repair estimates.
  • Contact your city building department. You or your contractor may find out which ordinances or laws apply when seeking building permits. City building officials determine rebuilding requirements and may make them a condition of issuing your building permits.
  • Contact the Texas Department of Insurance for windstorm certification requirements. Any building constructed, altered, remodeled, enlarged, repaired, or added to must meet the applicable windstorm building code standards for its area in order to maintain insurance through TWIA. Learn more on our Windstorm Certification webpage.
  • Check your mail. You may receive a letter from your community’s building department indicating you have substantial damage (greater than 50% of the value of your property) and must rebuild in compliance with local floodplain management rules.

Common structures subject to building ordinances include doors, windows, garage doors, siding, roofing, foundations, and elevation requirements (the height of the foundation above ground).

Will TWIA pay for professionals to help make sure my repairs comply with building ordinances and laws?

Depending on your ICC coverage limits, TWIA may reimburse you for reasonable costs associated with professionals like:

  • Flood elevation surveyors
  • Engineers and architects

Does ICC coverage have a deadline?

Yes. Policyholders are required to submit a claim within two years of the date of loss showing the extra amount they incurred to comply with building ordinances and laws.

What documentation do I need to submit to get reimbursed for the increased costs?

Please submit documentation of the structure needing upgrade, the cost to upgrade it, and the local building ordinances or laws governing the upgrade. Some examples include:

  • Photos of the structure needing upgrade
  • Photos of the structure after it is upgraded
  • Estimates and/or invoices of the cost to upgrade the structure
  • Notices from the jurisdiction that is enforcing the upgrade
  • The adopted local building code that governs the upgrade

How do I contact TWIA about my ICC coverage claim?

If you have a claim with TWIA, please contact us through one of the below methods:

  • Send a claim examiner a message through the Policyholder Portal
  • Email with “ICC Coverage” and your claim number in the subject line
  • Call (800) 788-8247 and speak with a claim examiner
  • Note: Communicating by email or phone may result in slower response times

For a printable version of this information, download our Increased Cost of Construction Resource Sheet.

Effective Friday, May 17, 2024, TWIA has stopped automatically renewing commercial policies as authorized by legislation passed last year.

Skip to content