Information for Policyholders Impacted by Hurricane NicholasPublished on: September 14, 2021
4/18/2022 Update: Starting April 18, 2022, TWIA policyholders can report a claim online in Claims Center or the Policyholder Portal. Click here to learn which one you are eligible to use.
TWIA is responding to Hurricane Nicholas and is ready to pay its policyholders for covered damages. If you are impacted by this storm, the below information is intended help you start your TWIA claim process.
If you haven’t already, we recommend signing up to use our online Claims Center – you can register and login at www.twia.org/claimscenter. With Claims Center you can report a new claim; check the status of your existing claim; view and upload photos and documents; view payment details; and send messages to the team handling your claim.
Report a claim one of three ways:
- Visit TWIA’s online Claims Center at www.twia.org/claimscenter
- Call (800) 788-8247, option 1
- Contact your agent
Have your TWIA policy number, best contact information, and property damage details ready.
After reporting a claim:
- Review your TWIA insurance coverage.
- Understand your coverage limits and deductible. Your agent can help explain this information.
- Remember: TWIA does not cover storm surge/flood damage, and flood insurance does not cover wind or hail damage.
- Take pictures or video of any damage to your property.
- Download an inventory form to fill out at www.twia.org/claimscenter.
- Make temporary or minor repairs to prevent further damage (learn more).
- Keep receipts and records of payment.
- Do not begin making permanent repairs until you and TWIA have communicated about your damage.
- Maintain contact with TWIA about your claim; this helps ensure it is resolved quickly.
- We recommend using our online Claims Center (register and login at www.twia.org/claimscenter). With it, you can message the team handling your claim, check its status, and view and upload photos and documents.
- Be wary of out-of-state contractors who show up at your door unexpectedly.
- Understand the windstorm building code requirements for your area (learn more).
- Contact the Texas Department of Insurance Windstorm Inspections Program to schedule a free inspection for applicable repairs.
Visit www.twia.org/claimscenter to learn about the TWIA claims process.