Public Invited to Comment as TWIA Board Considers Annual Rate Filing at August 2 MeetingPublished on: July 22, 2022
Essential Meeting Information
- The TWIA Board of Directors will meet on August 2 to consider the Association’s statutorily required annual rate filing.
- TWIA’s Rate Adequacy Analysis indicates that current rates are inadequate by 15 percent for residential coverage and 11 percent for commercial coverage.
- Members of the public can provide written comments via email before the meeting or provide virtual or in-person comment at the meeting.
The Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA) Board of Directors will meet at the Moody Gardens Hotel in Galveston on Tuesday, August 2 at 9:00 a.m. CT. The Board is expected to consider the Association’s statutorily required annual rate filing, among other issues. The meeting agenda is available on TWIA’s website.
All meetings of the TWIA Board of Directors are open to the public. Members of the public are invited to provide public comment at the Moody Gardens Hotel in Galveston or virtually via Zoom. The meeting will also be livestreamed on YouTube. More details on the public comment options for the meeting can be found below.
TWIA’s 2022 Rate Adequacy Analysis, prepared by the Association’s actuarial staff, indicates that TWIA’s current rates are inadequate by 15 percent for residential coverage and 11 percent for commercial coverage. The Board’s Actuarial & Underwriting Committee met on July 18 to review the Rate Adequacy Analysis and recommended that the TWIA Board of Directors vote to make a rate filing with no change in residential or commercial rates.
The TWIA Board will consider the Analysis, the Committee’s recommendation, and stakeholder feedback when voting to decide the amount of the Association’s annual required rate filing. A rate filing that includes any increase in rates is subject to review and approval by the Commissioner of Insurance. A timeline of TWIA’s 2022 annual rate filing consideration process is available on TWIA’s website.
Other Board Meeting Business
Other items on the agenda include:
- The Association’s required annual maximum limits of liability filing with the Texas Department of Insurance.
- Update on a staff study regarding agent commissions.
- Review of 2022 hurricane season funding.
- General Manager search update.
- Expanded premium credits for exterior opening protections as recommended by the Actuarial & Underwriting Committee.
- Legislative recommendations for the Association’s Biennial Report as recommended by the Legislative & External Affairs Committee.
Public Participation and Comment
TWIA is providing three methods for stakeholders to provide public comment to the Board of Directors:
1) Written Public Comment
Members of the public are invited to submit written comments via email at PublicComment@TWIA.org.
Interested parties are encouraged to submit comments by noon on Friday, July 29 to enable the Board to receive and review them before the August 2 meeting. All written comments will be provided to the Board regardless of when they are received.
2) Public Comment via Zoom.
Individuals wishing to make verbal public comment remotely during the meeting must register and log into the meeting via Zoom on a computer, tablet, smartphone, or telephone.
- Click here to register to attend the meeting via Zoom.
- After registering for the meeting, you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to join the meeting from your preferred device.
- This method of comment is audio only (no video).
3) In-Person Comment at the Moody Gardens Hotel in Galveston
Members of the Board may attend this meeting in person or virtually. Anyone attending the meeting at the Moody Gardens Hotel in Galveston is encouraged to follow the latest CDC guidance on mask wearing and comply with social distancing protocols.
Members of the media with questions about the Board meeting, please email MediaRelations@TWIA.org.
The meeting materials and archived recording for the Board meeting will be added to our Archived Meetings page after the meeting.
Written Public Comment Received
As of July 22, 2022, TWIA has received no written public comments related to this meeting. Public comments are posted here within two business days of being received by TWIA.